Kit Category Rules and Procedures
The following Rules and Procedures have been set forth and established by the Gingerbread House Event Committee for the purpose of the 3rd Annual 2012 Gingerbread House Event. Please retain these sheets for your records. For additional information, contact the Event Registration Coordinator by email at .
Entering and Qualifying to Enter:
To register for the event, you can register: online via PayPal, email, or drop off a completed registration form in an envelope at the Parkinson Recreation Centre or the Burger Baron. We will also be accepting registrations at the event. Entry numbers will be assigned upon receipt of completed entry forms, and pre-registered competitors will receive an e-mail with an entry number confirming their entry into the 2012 Gingerbread House Event.
Only one (1) entry per entry form is permitted.
The 2012 Gingerbread House Event Entry Form must be signed by the individual entering the event. If the individual is younger than the age of nineteen (19) by the date of the event, a signature from a parent or legal guardian is required in conjunction with the minor’s signature.
Team Entries are allowed for entry under the following guidelines.
- Please complete one (1) entry form for the team that includes only the team captain’s contact information.
- Complete the team entry form on page two with the other team member’s first and last names and their age.
- A signature from a parent or legal guardian will still be required for each team member under nineteen (19) years of age.
- In the event a Team Entry places in the event, the team captain will be the recipient of any prizes. Distribution or splitting of any prize, ribbon(s), or plaque will be left to the team captain to determine.
- A Team is defined as two (2) to four (4) individuals working on a single entry. No more than four (4) individuals are allowed to work on a single entry.
Due to space, only a limited number of entries will be accepted into the event.
The Event Committee reserves the right to refuse any entry deemed inappropriate.
The Event Committee understands that situations may cause competitors to withdraw from the event. Entrants withdrawing after December 9th, 2012 will forfeit their entry fees. In the event that you are no longer able to compete, please email .
Entry Categories and Guidelines:
The following guidelines exist for each of the categories listed below.
- Each entry of any category (except Recreational), is limited to no more than four (4) individuals working on the entry.
- For the family kit and the challenge kit, ONLY the materials found in the gingerbread house kit given to the entrant at the event may be used in your gingerbread house creation. Entrants may use some or all of the packaged kit including the box itself. No additional items may be added to the entry.
The following categories are open for entry into the 2012 Gingerbread House Event at the Parkinson Recreation Centre at 1800 Parkinson Way, Kelowna, BC:
|Packaged Kit Categories – PACKAGED KITS ARE PROVIDED AT THE EVENT|
|Family Kit||Consists of at least one child and at least one parent or legal Guardian with a maximum of 4 family members|
|Challenge Kit||Single Entrant or a Team – All Ages|
|Creative Kit||Single Entrant or a Team – All Ages
|Recreational Kit||No restrictions for this category. Entries will not be judged nor will they be eligible for prizes. This is the “you build a house for fun and we clean up the mess” category.|
Placing and Prizes:
Packaged Kit Categories
Family Category Grand Prize Winner – Manteo Resort Mini Family Vacation, Trophy
Challenge Category Grand Prize Winner – $100, Trophy
Creative Category Grand Prize Winner – $100, Trophy
Viewers Choice Award Winner – Trophy
Awards will be placed at the winning entries between 4pm and 4:30pm. The viewer’s choice award will be awarded at 4:30pm. Winners may claim their prizes at the registration table.
Judging Process and Judging Criteria:
All entries MUST be handed in no later than 3pm on Sunday, December 16th, 2012. Winners will be announced the same day after 4pm.
Entries will be judged based on three criteria:
- First Impression
(The theme should be the competitor’s own and consistent throughout the entry. There is no required theme for the event.)
All rulings by the judges are independent and final. They are in no way influenced by Parkinson Recreation Centre Staff or Okanagan Boys and Girls Club Staff except those specifically performing the judging. In the event of a tie, the event Head Judge will be asked to break the tie.
Materials and Construction:
Paint, ribbon, paper and/or other non-edible decorative items may not be used to decorate the entries. Any entry with non-edible components other than those expressly permitted will be automatically disqualified.
Edible materials are not limited to sweets.
No artificial display materials, such as Styrofoam, are to be used in the construction or decoration of the entry.
All entries must be solely constructed by the individual(s) entering the event.
The entries are not limited to the structure of a house. Competitors are welcome and encouraged to uniquely design their entry, as long as the entry is in keeping with the event Rules and Procedures and the Judging Criteria.
The Event Judging Committee reserves the right to refuse any entry deemed inappropriate.
Entry Check-in and Entry Pick-up:
Entrants may pre-register or register at the Parkinson Recreation Centre on Sunday, December 16th, 2012 between 10am and 3pm. A packaged kit will be provided at the event.
Entry Check-In will proceed in the following order.
- Check-In tables will be located at the McIntosh Banquet Room. Signs will be posted at the entrance.
- Photography station will be located along the wall of the McIntosh Banquet Room.
- Entry placement will be determined upon completion of your entry
All non-recreational entries must be completed and brought to the photography station by 3pm. An event volunteer will direct entrants to their display section. Please be aware that the neither the Parkinson Recreation Centre nor the event volunteers are permitted to assist in the direct transportation of any entry; this is for the safety of the event entries.
If you wish to keep your entry, you may pick it up between 5pm and 6pm on the day of the event. Entries not picked up will be discarded. Entries may NOT be picked up prior to 5pm.
Recreational entries have the option of being photographed. Recreational entries may take their gingerbread house home upon completion.
Entries will be on display and viewable by the public until 5pm on Sunday, December 16th, 2012.